A postpartum doula helps to create the environment a family needs to nurture itself after the arrival of a newborn. She comes alongside growing families by assisting with infant care, helping with household tasks such as light cleaning, laundry and cooking, and generally "mothering the mother" during the exciting and challenging postpartum adjustment period.
If you are currently working as a postpartum doula or think you'd like to explore the possibility of serving childbearing families in this way, you are invited to take advantage of this Postpartum Doula Workshop. This training course meets DONA International training standards for certification.
The Curriculum Includes:
- Caring for the new mother
- Caring for the newborn
- Listening and communication skills
- Breastfeeding support
- Alternative infant feeding methods
- Nurturing families with twins or triplets
- Postpartum mood disorders (eg. postpartum depression)
- Code of ethics & standards of practice for postpartum doulas
- Running a postpartum doula business
- Case studies
To be sure that all participants are adequately prepared for their Postpartum Workshop, participants must have completed the pre-requisite reading.
A. Read the DONA International Position Papers:
- The Postpartum Doula’s Role in Maternity Care
- The Birth Doula’s Contribution to Modern Maternity Care
B. Read at least one book from each of the following three categories from the Postpartum Doula Required Reading List. Some of these books may be purchased at The Mothering Touch Centre. (Our favourite book in each section is marked with * but feel free to read another if it is more available or you prefer it.)
(Note: The full Postpartum Doula Certification Requirements ask you to read 12 books, from 11 different categories. But you don’t have to do it all before the Workshop. You have two years to get that done! Don’t panic.)
Becoming a Mother
- Misconceptions by Wolf
- Mothering the New Mother by Placksin *
- The Year After Childbirth by Kitzinger
- Your Amazing Newborn by Klaus and Klaus
- Your Baby is Speaking to You by Nugent
- The Wonder Weeks by Plooij
- Touchpoints by Brazelton
- The Mother of All Baby Books by Douglas *
- The Baby Book by Sears
- Dr. Jack Newman’s “Guide to Breastfeeding”
- Working and Breastfeeding Made Simple by Mohrbacher
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Wiessinger and West
- Breastfeeding Made Simple by Mohrbacher & Kendall-Tackett *
Schedule: 4 consecutive days from 8:30am to 5pm
There will be two 15 minutes breaks and a one-hour lunch break each day.
Coffee, tea, juice, water and snacks will be provided. Lunch will be on your own.
Location: The Mothering Touch Centre
Cost: $550 +GST