Mothering Touch Birth Doula Workshops are DONA-Approved and taught by Eva Bild who has been working as a doula for 25 years and has been training doulas since 2005.
This 28-hour workshop includes THREE of the requirements for Birth Doula Certification by DONA International:
- Introduction to Childbirth for Doulas - 7 hours
- Birth Doula Workshop - 18 hours
- Breastfeeding Workshop - 3 hours
During COVID we have moved to a hybrid format - mostly online with a little in-person. We meet online (via zoom) for 3 hours a week for 8 weeks. Then we have a 5-hour in-person workshop to teach the hands-on labour support skills that are essential to doula work.
Topics covered will include:
- Anatomy and Physiology of Childbirth
- The Stages of Labour
- Labour - a Physical and Emotional Process
- Common Medical Interventions in Childbirth
- Labour Support Techniques - How to Help a Woman in Labour
- Hands-on Practice of Comfort Measures
- Listening and Communication Skills
- Pre and Post-natal Visits - What a Doula Covers when Meeting with a Client
- Breastfeeding - A Partnership between the Mother, the Baby, the Breast and the Doula
- Your Doula Business - how to get clients and what to do when you get them!
- Meet the Doulas - established local doulas will come and talk about their experiences working in Victoria
- How to achieve certification with DONA International - the World's Premier Doula Association
The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin (latest edition) is the manual for the Birth Doula Training Workshop. You must own a copy and bring it to the workshop.
Please read it before the workshop. This will give you the background information that you need to get the most out of the workshop.
We would also like you to read either
The Mother of All Pregnancy Books (2011) by Ann Douglas
Pregnancy, Childbirth and The Newborn, The Complete Guide (2016) by Penny Simkin, Janet Whalley and Ann Keppler
before the workshop begins.
All of these books may be purchased at The Mothering Touch Centre. We also have a few copies in our lending library.
Instructor: Eva Bild, MA, CD(DONA), LCCE
Online Birth Doula Training via Zoom - during the COVID emergency only!
Schedule: 8 Thursday evenings from 6:30-9:30pm, AND one 5-hour weekend day for Hands-On techniques. (The date for the Hands-On day will be announced in the fall)
There will be one 10 minute break in the middle of each evening of the course.
Location: The Mothering Touch Centre
Fee: $550 +GST