In the final weeks of pregnancy, as we prepare for birth we look to our sisters, mothers, friends, aunties and peers for support and reassurance. At this time community acupuncture can help your body prepare for birth. Cervical ripening, sometimes called pre-birth acupuncture, begins at 36-37 weeks gestation. It consists of a series of treatments given once a week, based on your unique experience. Specific points are chosen on the hands, arms, legs and feet to help support the body’s natural process of preparing for birth while balancing any discomforts that you may be experiencing with your pregnancy.
Some of the benefits of pre-birth acupuncture include:
- Cervical softening/ripening/dilation
- Increasing blood flow to the Uterus
- Supporting, regulating hormonal levels leading up to labour, including enhancing oxytocin release
- Calming the mind and balancing emotions – fear & anxiety prior to childbirth, post-partum depression
- Encouraging optimal fetal positioning and/or addressing breech/posterior positioning
- Potentially decreasing pain and exhaustion during labour
- Enhancing efficiency of labour, and shortening active labour
- Reducing the rates of medical interventions
- Addressing ongoing issues throughout pregnancy such as musculo-skeletal pain, gestational diabetes, edema, anemia, etc.
- Potentially a faster recovery, less complications following childbirth
- Promoting lactation, supporting breastfeeding