Have you ever considered becoming a Postpartum Doula? AJ Hadfield, our friend, Postpartum Doula and Doula Trainer has written a guest blog post explaining her love for her job. We have a Postpartum Doula Training happening here at Mothering Touch with AJ in June.
My name is AJ Hadfield and I am a postpartum doula. I have been fortunate enough to do this work for the past 13 years. When I first started, I had a vague idea of helping mothers and snuggling babies. I didn’t understand how much my clients would teach me and how being a postpartum doula would shape and define the second half of my life. Why do I doula?
- Because I understand now that good support at the right time can make all the difference for a new family
- Because helping couples adjust to parenthood is important, valuable work
- Because being around new babies all the time is the best!
- Because watching people become parents is about the best thing in the world
- Because I am constantly humbled by the power and strength of new mothers
- Because I recognize the value in giving a parent permission to take a breather
- Because I get to watch a big brother meet his baby sister for the first time
- Because I recognize that guiding a new mother on her breastfeeding journey is never the same experience twice
- Because being part of a family’s postpartum journey is a privilege
- Because sometimes a mother needs someone by her side to say it’s OK when she’s making the hard choices
- Because sometimes a new dad needs someone he can cry with, who won’t be sitting across from him at Thanksgiving.
- Because sometimes, in my small way, I know I have made a difference
- Because it always makes me smile to get a text with a picture of a poopy diaper and the question ‘is this normal’?
- Because I know helping to normalize what is overwhelming to new families is important and,
- Because I know that celebrating what is trivial to most people is also important
- Because watching a baby latch on and suckle for the first time never gets old
- Because I know that sometimes, my training and observant eye can help a mama get the support she needs when she needs it most
- Because helping a parent figure out the intricacies of their baby wrap is always fun
- Because even on the hard days, when I question whether I’ve supported in the best way I can, I still can’t wait for tomorrow and the chance to do it all over again, and
- Because I love getting the email two years later, asking what I’m doing in 9 months and knowing I get to be with this family all over again
I am a postpartum doula – I love what I do.
If you have questions or are interested in registering for the Postpartum Doula Training happening June 1st to June 4th, 2018 go here or give us a call!