A postpartum doula helps to create the environment a family needs to nurture itself after the arrival of a newborn. She comes alongside growing families by assisting with infant care, helping with household tasks such as light cleaning, laundry and cooking, and generally “mothering the mother” during the exciting and challenging postpartum adjustment period.
If you are currently working as a postpartum doula or think you’d like to explore the possibility of serving childbearing families in this way, you are invited to take advantage of this Postpartum Doula Workshop. This training course meets DONA International training standards for certification.
The Curriculum Includes:
- Caring for the new mother
- Caring for the newborn
- Listening and communication skills
- Breastfeeding support
- Alternative infant feeding methods
- Nurturing families with twins or triplets
- Postpartum mood disorders (eg. postpartum depression)
- Code of ethics & standards of practice for postpartum doulas
- Running a postpartum doula business
- Case studies
To be sure that all participants are adequately prepared for their Postpartum Workshop, participants must have completed the pre-requisite reading.
A. Read the DONA International Position Papers:
- The Postpartum Doula’s Role in Maternity Care
- The Birth Doula’s Contribution to Modern Maternity Care
B. Read at least one book from each of the following three categories from the Postpartum Doula Required Reading List. Some of these books may be purchased at The Mothering Touch Centre.(Our favourite book in each section is marked with * but feel free to read another if ir is more available or you prefer it.)
Becoming a Mother
- Misconceptions: Wolf
- Mothering the New Mother: Placksin *
- The Year After Childbirth: Kitzinger
- Your Amazing Newborn: Klaus and Klaus
- Your Baby is Speaking to You: Nugent
- The Wonder Weeks: Plooij
- Touchpoints: Brazelton
- The Mother of All Baby Books: Douglas *
- The Baby Book: Sears
- Dr. Jack Newman’s “Guide to Breastfeeding”
- Working and Breastfeeding Made Simple by Mohrbacher
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding: Wiessinger and West
- Breastfeeding Made Simple: Mohrbacher & Kendall-Tackett *
(Note: The full Postpartum Doula Certification Requirements ask you to read 12 books, from 11 different categories. But you don’t have to do it all before the Workshop. You have two years to get that done! Don’t panic.)
Instructor: AJ Hadfield
Schedule: 4 consecutive days from 9am to 5pm There will be two 15-minute breaks and a one-hour lunch break each day. Coffee, tea, juice, water and snacks will be provided. Lunch will be on your own.
Location: The Mothering Touch Centre
Cost: $550 +GST Register Now!
June 9 - 12, 2017
Our Pricing Policy
We try to be as accurate as possible on our website and printed materials. However, errors happen! Prices may be changed without notice.
Refund Policy: A refund of the registration fee (minus a 15% administrative fee) is possible until TWO WEEKS before the course begins. No refunds will be possible after that time, but registrations are transferable.